Aero Club of Hartford
The Aero Club of Hartford was organized 7 Oct. 1908 but was then passive for a year. Papers for incorporation as a social organization or club to advance the development of the science of aeronautics, to encourage aerial navigation, and to hold meets and contests pf balloons and other aerial constructions were filed 28 Oct. 1909. According to the periodical Aeronautics, the incorporation in late 1909 was partly for the purpose of holding the name and partly from the sense the the science of aeronautics had reached such an advanced stage that its beginnings in Hartford had to be made in the very near future.
|Notes 2=The Aero Club of Hartford was organized during the 1908 bridge celebration when Charles J. Glidden addressed a banquet of the automobile club in Hartford on 7 Oct.. 1908 and inspired those attending when he took up the subject of ballooning and talked about aero clubs in Massachusetts. The Hartford club also had inspiration from Charles B. Whittelsey, Jr., who was experimenting with dirigible balloons. The club was then passie or a year. The articles of association in 1909 were prepared by the club's initial secretary, Walter S. Schutz. Besides Schutz, the incorporators included Hiram Percy Maxim, Whittelsey, J. S. Rowe, and 12 others. Officers elected were Maxim as president; Henry B. Redfield, vice president; F. W. Darl, treasurer; and C. H. Gillette, secretary.
- 1908 Hartford Courant 8 Oct.; 1908 WSJ, 28 Nov.; 5 Aeronautics 240 (1909); 1909 HC, 27 & 28 Oct.
|Organization names||Aero Club of Hartford|