Aero Club of Long Island (2)
The Aero Club of Long Island filed its certificate of incorporation from New York stare with the clerk of Mineola County, New York, on 21 Apr. 1911. The club's purposes included being a social organization of persons owning aeronautic inventions for personal or private use; the encouragement of aeronautical navigation conferences, expositions, exhibitions, congresses, and contests; instruction of members in the use of aircraft; and the manufacture of aircraft for experimental purposes. The club had already leased 900 acres of land between Garden City and the Meadow Brook Club to be devoted entirely to aviation. Principal offices were to be at Garden City.
At incorporation in 1911 there were seven directors: Gage E. Tarbell, Philip Wilcox, Alfred J. Moisant, A. E. Uppermann, Charles H. Heitman, Frederick J. Dollinger, and Albert S. Levino. It was rumored that the club was a reorganization of the Hempstead Plains Aviation Company, which seemed to have gone out of business. Given the composition of the directors, this club appears to have no relationship to the Aero Club of Long Island founded in Richmond Hill, Long Island, in 1908.
- 1911 NYT 23 Apr.; 8 Aeronautics (NYC) 185 (1911)
|Organization names||Aero Club of Long Island (2)|
|City||Garden City, Long Island, New York|