Aero Club of Ohio
The Aero Club of Ohio was formed 10 Dec. 1907 in Canton, Ohio. Appears to have been called, interchangeably, the Aero Club of Canton or the Canton Aero Club. It was one of the first four affiliates of the Aero Club of America according to the New York Times of 10 Apr. 1908, and the ACA Annual, 1909. The club sponsored balloon ascensions at its own park and in 1909 drew aeronauts from elsewhere, including Leo Stevens of New York. The Aero Club of Ohio was invited to enter a balloon in the August 1910 Harvard-Boston meet. Unclear if this was ever more than a local club.
The initial roster of the Aero Club of Ohio included 20 members headed by Frank S. Lahm and Walter Wellman, both former residents of Canton. Other members were business and professional men of Canton and Massillon. Johnson Sherrick was president in August 1908. 100 members in June 1910. Ohio bandmaster Karl L. King composed a 23-part march, "Canton Aero Club," published in 1909, which he dedicated to the local hot air balloon club. (The sheet music is still readily available.)
(need to figure out what Kenney 2007 is)
Affiliated with ACA in 1908.
- 1907 WP, 11 Dec.; 1909 Jane's All the World's Aircraft 251; 2:11 Flying 34 (1913); 5 Flying 250 (1916); 6 Flying 498 (1917); 8 Flying 549 (1919); 9 Flying 50 (1920); 1908 NYT, 10 Apr.; 1910 NYT, 23 June; 1910 Boston Daily Globe, 13, 14, & 16 Aug.; ACA annuals (1908-1917. 1919); Goodyear 11 (1920); Kenney, Canton: A Journey Through Time, 9, 17 (2003); Kenney, Canton's Pioneers in Flight, 99-100 (2008); 1908 Philadelphia Inquirer 23 Aug.; WorldCat.org and WorldCat-OCLC; Osborne, Music in Ohio 458 (2004); Dir1920
|Organization names||Aero Club of Ohio aka Aero Club of Canton and Canton Aero Club|
|Ended aero||1920 or later|
- Address: no fixed address (1908-1919)
|Cable address=0 |Phone=0 }}